XIX Conference on Architectural Graphic Expression logo
  • image
    Submenú XIX International Congress of Architectural Graphic Expression

Cartagena is a Spanish city and a major naval station located in the Region of Murcia, by the Mediterranean coast, south-eastern Spain. it has a population of 213,943 inhabitants. The metropolitan area of Cartagena, known as Campo de Cartagena, has a population of 409,586 inhabitants.

Cartagena has been inhabited for over two millennia, being founded around 227 BC by the Carthaginian Hasdrubal the Fair as Qart Hadasht (Phoenician, meaning 'New Town'), the same name as the original city of Carthage. The city had its heyday during the Roman Empire, when it was known as Carthago Nova (the New Carthage) and Carthago Spartaria, capital of the province of Carthaginensis. It was one of the important cities during the Umayyad invasion of Hispania, under its Arabic name of Qartayannat al-Halfa.

Much of the historical weight of Cartagena in the past goes to its coveted defensive port, one of the most important in the western Mediterranean. Cartagena has been the capital of the Spanish Navy's Maritime Department of the Mediterranean since the arrival of the Spanish Bourbons in the 18th century. As far back as the 16th century it was one of the most important naval ports in Spain, together with Ferrol in the North. It is still an important naval seaport, the main military haven of Spain, and is home to a large naval shipyard.

During the Spanish Civil War (1936–1939), Cartagena was the main base of the Spanish Republican Navy and one of the primary strongholds of the Republican Government. It held out against the forces of General Francisco Franco longer than any other city in Spain, being the last of its cities to surrender. The city saw its industrial activity increased during the 1950s, resulting in more prosperity and this trend continued until a general decline in manufacturing throughout Europe in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The city of Cartagena is bounded by five small hills following the example of Rome called: Monte de la Concepción, Cerro del Molinete, Monte de San José, Monte Sacro and Cerro de Despeñaperros. In the past, there was an inner sea between the hills called the Estero that eventually dried up. On this site, the "Ensanche" (Expansion or New Town) was built at the beginning of the 20th century

It is a port city open to the Mediterranean Sea through a wide bay. The port of Cartagena currently has two wharfs: One is in the inner harbour of Escombreras, where different industries are located, and the other is the main wharf for the city itself. Between them both is the nearest of our beaches, Cala Cortina, equipped with all the required facilities. The natural port of Cartagena is delimited by the island of Escombreras (east) and the hill of La Torrosa (west). Its entrance is guarded by a series of castles and coastal batteries dating from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The city is the seat of the Regional Assembly, legislative body of the Autonomous Community.

Cartagena has two natural protected areas: to the west, the beaches of Cabo Tiñoso, including El Portús Beach, and to the east the beaches that are located in the regional park of Calblanque and Cala Reona.